Thursday, June 14, 2007

My Lord and My God

Dear Friends,
Have you ever doubted about your faith or Are there times you want to sit down with our Lord Jesus and get His advice? Thomas, the one of the disciples wanted Jesus’ physical presence because he doubted the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead. He said in John 20: 25, “unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands and put my finger in the mark of the nails and my hand in his side, I will not believe”

Who is this Thomas? He was the one of the twelve (Mathew 10:3). Not knowing much about Thomas’ family background, his profession, educational levels, but we see Thomas was also present at the raising of Lazarus (John 11:16). He was a companion of Jesus Christ, he was loyal to Jesus, he also asked Jesus the way to the father’s house, John 14: 4-5. I think Thomas was very thoughtful. My imagination carried Thomas alone in the quiet place to meditate about Jesus death and filled with doubts to believe about His resurrection. May be Thomas was full of questions to accept Jesus death itself. We don’t know why Thomas was absent the first time Jesus appeared to the disciples after resurrection but he was reluctant to believe their witness to Christ resurrection. Not even 10 friends could change his mind. Some time we do doubt our God in our life, when our plans don’t succeed, or our hopes are shattered or in the time of difficult situation. It is better to doubt rather believing in silence, because doubt leads to questions, questions lead to answers and the answers are accepted.

In the bible we see many doubting people, for example, in Genesis 17: 17, Abraham and Sarah doubted when God told him he would be a father in old age. In Exodus, 3: 10-15, Moses doubted when God told him to return to Egypt to lead the people. In Luke 1:18, Zachariah doubted when told he would be a father in his old age. I think, it is a human nature to doubt about what we do not see, touch and whatever that is beyond our imagination and our ability to understand. When you and I experience doubt, take encouragement from Thomas. He didn’t stay in his doubt, but allowed Jesus brings him to belief. Our compassionate God was not hard on Thomas for his doubts instead showed himself to him. Jesus said, “Shalom”. Are you dwelling in doubts or confusions or distress or failures after failures, the unchanging Lord Jesus is telling you and me, the same promise Shalom, peace be with you. Amen. What is Thomas reply?, John 20: 28, Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God”

Let’s come out of our doubting circle and believe that God is in our midst and ready to place us on the firm ground. When I read the following verse, I am very much satisfied that I come in this scripture. John 20: 29, “ …..blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believe.” Yes, blessed are you and me who believe in our Lord Jesus Christ. Amen. God’s plan is wiser; he wants to be present with you and me at all time. Even now, he is with us in the form of the Holy Spirit.

Now the question is, are you still confused to know that this a call is from our God? Let’s get up from our doubts and believe that he will never leave us alone in our doubts. His hands are stretched out towards us. Like doubting Thomas, lets confess once again, my lord and My God, I believe in you.

May the Lord Jesus Christ who has risen from the dead empower everyone with His everlasting peace in our life? Amen.

No comments: